Monday, January 9, 2012

Window Screen

This started out as a curbside find.  It was originally a wooden picture frame (I think).  It had no back or picture when it was found.  It would have made a nice mirror, or even a great picture frame, but I saw something completely different.  I have a small kitchen and have tried different window treatments over the years.  I've found some I like, but none that I love.  I've seen so many kitchen windows left bare which I really like.  In fact, the window above my kitchen sink is bare and I love being able to hang a grapevine wreath in the window instead of a curtain of some sort.  My back door is made of glass panes which was purchased from Habitat for Humanity Restore and it is also bare of curtains.  The remaining window needed SOMEthing, but what?  I wanted light to come in through the window, but didn't quite want to leave it bare either.  So, I took my curbside find and painted it the same color red as my kitchen cabinets.  Then, I took some fabric that I had stored in my craft supplies and attached it to the back of the frame.  A staple gun would have been great, but I didn't have one, so I just used packing tape.  I told myself that would be better anyway in case I ever want to wash it, sure.  After that, I just simply propped it in the window and hung another picture on top from the window frame.  It turned out very shabby chic and the perfect fit for my kitchen window. 


Here is the view of the window screen alone.


Here is the view of the entire window.


Here is a close up of the detail at the top - so cute.

Have you used some odd creation for a window treatment?  Do you like your windows bare or with curtains?


No comments:

Post a Comment