Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mercury Glass Candle Holders


I wanted to try my hand at making some DIY mercury glass candle holders.  I found several tutorials on Pinterest and tried several of them.  I eventually ended up using a combination of suggestions.  I started out by using a glass candle jar that I had on hand.  I always clean out and save the jars that my candles come in so that I can re-use them.  I just run some steaming hot water right out of the faucet into the jar and let it sit, the wax usually pops right out and then I use hot soapy water to clean out the remaining residue.
The one thing that all of the tutorials had in common was using Krylon Looking Glass Spray - after that, they all differed just a little bit.  I also used a small spray bottle containing 50% water and vinegar.  I tried spraying the KLGS first followed by the water/vinegar and also the opposite.  Personally, I prefer using the KLGS first, then lightly spraying with the water/vinegar, then using a dry paper towel to dab at it in spots to give it the look that you want.
I found that using a small drinking glass covered in a plastic bag to hold the jar up while I painted it helped a lot.  I could easily turn it as I painted.  The paint dries quickly so you need to work fast.
Here is the final outcome -

It turned out really well.  I love the look of mercury glass but it is usually pretty pricey.  This is definitely more in my price range, lol - and the sizes and shapes of the candle holders, vases, whatever, is unlimited!  How about you - have you tried diy mercury glass?  If so, what is your preferred method?



No comments:

Post a Comment