Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Little Bit of Sunshine in the Playroom!

I wanted to make a wooden sign for over the bed in the playroom.  I wanted something that would be kind of large to make a big impact/statement in the room.  I decided on the saying "you are my sunshine".  My mom used to sing me that song when I was a little girl and most of my grandkids never got to know her because she passed away.  It was a way for me to bring her and the grandkids together somehow.  I started with some fence boards.  I like them because they have the rustic-ness of pallet wood but without the hassle of all the nails and such.  I used a circular saw to cut them to size.
Next, I needed a way to attach the boards to each other.  I found some metal bracket thingies at Ace Hardware that did the trick.  I just used my drill to screw them together.  They are not perfectly sized and it didn't matter to me - I like it that way actually.
Next, I gave it a couple of coats of primer and a couple of coats of white spray paint.  I used some chalk to lightly paint the "sun" in the corner and then filled it in with yellow craft paint.
I used a letter stencil and some teal craft paint to add the words "You Are My Sunshine".
In the bottom left corner, I used an orange paint pen to dedicate the sign to my mom by simply adding "heart Grammie".
Then I distressed it some to make it look older and added some ring hangers to the back side for hanging.
Next came actually hanging it on the wall.  I used a method I've seen all over Pinterest whereby you take a piece of painters tape and lay it on your project, mark where the holes need to go, put the tape on the wall where you can easily measure and level it and then just drill your holes right through the painter's tape.  Genius.  Here it is hanging on the wall.  It turned out perfect.
And here's a wider view of the room - it's coming along!
Have you used fence boards?  Pallet boards?  Which do you prefer?  I have a few more projects left on my list in this room before I call it done, but I am pleased with it 's progress!






No comments:

Post a Comment